Welcome to the All in One Mythic Guide to Zul in the Uldir raid! This guide should sort you out with most if not all things Mythic Zul. If you have any questions feel free to ask in the #subtlety channel in the Ravenholdt discord.
This strategy is significantly nerfed come 8.1, Subtlety Rogue is receiving several heavy nerfs across the class due to its potential to cheese this fight.
Shuriken Combo was previously nerfed on the PTR from ̶8̶ % -> 5%, with a very slight buff given to Shuriken Storms damage; Both of these changes are bad because it kills crawgs faster, and priority target slower; however in the latest build Shuriken Combo it was removed entirely. Which means eviscerate hits 28.5% less than live with its removal.
Shuriken Combo – Shuriken Storm increases the damage of your next Eviscerate by ̶8̶ % -> 5% for each enemy hit beyond the first. Stacks up to 5 times.
Shuriken Combo is no longer listed as a Subtlety spell, removed from the spellbook entirely as of latest PTR build.
Shuriken Storm Sprays shurikens at all targets within 10 yards, dealing [(
18% ->of Attack power)] Physical damage.
The First Dance was changed to become a haste buff instead of a crit buff, which makes it fairly useless for AoE compared to its Crit iteration.
Read about the comprehensive changelog here.
TLDR: Nerfs to priority target damage, the Sub Rogue Zul strategy will no longer be as strong of a strategy come 8.1, other strategies will most likely be recommended instead.
To sim for Zul, do 6 Target Patchwerk, the time depends on your raid group but it’s typically 3-4 minutes. 6 Target removes the multi-dotting condition, you’ll have consistent adds, and there are no meaningful mechanics besides DPS for sub rogues.
However, even that comes with a few quirks and differences to the typical Zul playstyle (e.g. Night’s Vengeance simming at more value than it “should” because it automatically causes multi-dotting). Mystler has already updated the Raidbots nightly build. This means you can put
priority_rotation=1 into the Custom APL box on Raidbots and use it on Top Gear, Gear Compare etc. Using this plus the usual 6T 4min sim, the sim should match Zul better. (Just don’t forget to remove that option from the custom APL field again when running normal sims.)
Mastery >> Critical Strike/Versatility >Haste
Raid keeps the crawgs alive so Sub Rogues can tunnel and burn Zul with Shuriken Storm/Shuriken Combo
- Keep Nightblade up on Zul
- Build combo points with Shuriken Storm
- Spend combo points/finish on 5+ (Eviscerate, unless you need to refresh Nightblade).
- SoD on CD along with ShD
- Use ShD with SoD/tornado or to prevent overcapping charges (which can happen a lot since the CD reduces massively in AoE) and in SoD/tornado. Don’t hold SoD/tornado you hold a ShD charge.
- Keep Nightblade up on Zul, refresh so it doesn’t fall off during SoD/ShD but never refresh during ShD (refresh before if it will fall off during ShD).
- Don’t reapply find weakness in dance apply it through vanish/stealth and do so right before tornado.
- You can only fit 5 globals in dance (GCD isn’t affected by haste), and neither SoD nor ShD are on the GCD so you cast them at the same time; it does not matter which goes first.
- When using tornado, use it one second before SoD/ShD to not waste a GCD in dance, and always go into dance on high combo points for maximum priority target damage.
- See Kistler’s guide to see how you can deal with certain mechanics as a rogue.
Basically the same as the rotation but it goes as follows:
Potion/Shadow Blades > Shadowstrike > Nightblade> tornado > SoD/ShD > Eviscerate > Eviscerate > Eviscerate > Eviscerate > Shuriken Storm > ShD> Eviscerate > Shuriken Storm > Eviscerate > Shuriken Storm > Eviscerate > Shuriken Storm
1) Applied find weakness through vanish/stealth only.
2) Kept up Nightblade and did not refresh inside ShD.
3) Delayed SoD/ShD by a gcd to not waste a GCD in dance.
4) Went into ShD on high combo points to get 3 eviscerates in ShD instead of just 2.